Denso CBR motorcycle coils with PE3?

original posts
Hi

I am planning the ignition set up on a PE3 controlled Mk1 Escort with YB Cosworth Turbo engine. On other cars I have used CBR coil on plug coils with great sucess but always with a CDI box to drive them. On this particular set up I dont plan on using massiv boost so would prefer to run the coils directly off the PE3. The coils are simple 2 pin dumb coil sticks with a resistance of about 1.6ohm across the pins. Would these work straight off the 4 ignition drivers inside the PE3? and does anyone know dwell set up that would be a good starting point.

Regards

Re: Denso CBR motorcycle coils with PE3?

Posts
Administrator
Hello,

You can drive Honda CBR coils directly from the ECU. We do this quite often with these coils. Below is some information that we have for 2007 CBR600RR coils. They all seem to be about the same.

Part Number 129700-4510

Primary resistance 1.4 ohms

Volts     Milliseconds

8               6.00

10             3.75

12             2.80

14             1.95

16             1.60
Thanks for posting,
PE Support
(513) 777-5233

Re: Denso CBR motorcycle coils with PE3?

original posts
Thanks for that.

Any idea on the polarity of the coil connection pins on the denso coils sticks? I have had different advice on which of the pins looking onto the connector with the coil infront of you is positive. This was important for running CDI on these coils but may not be such an issue with running straight from the PE3. Thanks

Re: Denso CBR motorcycle coils with PE3?

original posts
Do you have any experience with Denso 129700-3881 coils? As best I can tell, they are from a CBR600 F4i.

Re: Denso CBR motorcycle coils with PE3?

Posts
Administrator
Hello Jason,

I don't recognize the part number but we have used F4i coils with good success in the past.
Thanks for posting,
PE Support
(513) 777-5233